If you’re a Godzilla and Kaiju fan like we are, you’re probably also psyched about the upcoming Godzilla: Monster Planet animated film. While not too much is known about the film, I’ve tried to round up every bit of information I could find.
In the year 2048, the human race is forced to leave Earth after decades of losing against Godzilla and other giant monsters. They take a twenty-year journey to another planet called Tau Ceti e, but upon arrival, they discover that the planet has become uninhabitable. As living conditions on their ship deteriorates, a young man named Haruo spearheads a movement to return to Earth and take it back from the monsters. The ship returns successfully, but they realize that 20,000 years have passed, with Earth’s ecosystem having evolved to become centered around Godzilla.
POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD
What We Know So Far,
- First full-length animated Godzilla movie
- Directed by Kobun Shizuno and Hiroyuki Seshita
- Produced by Toho Animation & Animated by Polygon Pictures
- Voice actors include: Yuuki Kaji, Takahiro Sakurai, Mamoru Miyano, Junichi Suwabe, Kana Hanazawa and Tomokazu Sugita
- Will be initially released in Japan in theaters on November 17th
- Will be released worldwide on Netflix following the Japanese theaterical release
- Monster Planet will be the first of a three-film trilogy
- No trailer yet but a teaser/featurette has been released
- Kaiju confirmed (at Anime Japan 2017) to appear: Godzilla, Anguirus, Rodan, Orga, Kamacuras, Dagahra & Dogora
- Godzilla will have an entirely unique design created specifically for the film trilogy
- Official plot
The last summer of the 20th Century. That day, the human beings learn that they are not the only ruler of the planet Earth.
The appearance of the giant living creatures “Kaiju’s” and the ultimate existence that destroys all monsters: Godzilla. Through the battle against kaiju’s that lasted for half a century, human beings has experienced continuous defeat, and finally plans to escape from the Earth. And in 2048, only those who were selected by the A.I. managed under the central government boarded the inter-sidereal emigrant spaceship “Aratrum” to head for “Tau Cetus e”, the planet beyond the distance of 11.9 light-year. However, the environmental condition differences between that of the Earth and Tau e, which they finally arrived after 20 years were far beyond the predicted numbers, and was not an environment considered to be habitable by human beings.
The young man on the emigrant ship: Haruo, who saw his parents killed by Godzilla in front of his eyes when he was 4 years old, had only one thing in his mind for 20 years: to return to the Earth and defeat Godzilla. Shut out from the possibility of emigration, as the living environment in the ship deteriorates, the group of “Earth Returnists” led by Haruo became the majority, and determines to head back to Earth through a dangerous long-distance hyperspace navigation.
However, the Earth they have returned has already passed the time of 20,000 years, and has become an unknown world with the ecosystem reigned by Godzilla.
At the end, will human beings win back the Earth? And what will Haruo see beyond his fate…?
- Website at godzilla-anime.com
- Twitter at @GODZILLA_ANIME
- Concept Art
- Mech suits will be used to battle Kaiju
- Character Profiles
- There will be a humanoid alien race involved, possibly as non-Kaiju villains
Needless to say after soaking up as much info as I could about Monster Planet, I couldn’t be more excited. A sci-fi heavy plot, a far-future setting with a Earth that revolves entirely around Godzilla? Yes and yes! We’ll update this page as we find out more about Monster Planet!