The upcoming 75th annual Golden Globes feature a surprisingly amount of representation for horror and genre film and TV with nominations for The Shape of Water, Get Out, Stranger Things and Twin Peaks.
Guillermo del Toro’s The Shape of Water made the biggest splash with a whopping seven nominations including Best Picture, Actress, Director & Screenplay! Currently in a limited release, The Shape of Water will have a wider release starting on December 22nd.
Another interesting thing is Jordan Peele’s Get Out has two nominations… as a Musical or Comedy… I understand the argument that it’s a thriller and not a horror but it’s obviously not a musical or a comedy.
When asked for comment, director Jordan Peele had this to say.
“The reason for the visceral response to this movie being called a comedy is that we are still living in a time in which African American cries for justice aren’t being taken seriously. It’s important to acknowledge that though there are funny moments, the systemic racism that the movie is about is very real. More than anything, it shows me that film can be a force for change. At the end of the day, call “Get Out” horror, comedy, drama, action or documentary, I don’t care. Whatever you call it, just know it’s our truth.”
Here’s the complete list of Horror & Genre nominations for film and TV,
- Best Motion Picture – Drama
The Shape of Water
- Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
- Best Director – Motion Picture
Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water
- Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor, The Shape of Water
- Best Original Score – Motion Picture
Alexandre Desplat, The Shape of Water
- Best Television Series – Drama
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Kyle MacLachlan, Twin Peaks
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
David Harbour, Stranger Things
Excited to see The Shape of Water? Agree or disagree with the nominations? Be sure to let us know by commenting on Facebook or Instagram! The 75th annual Golden Globes, hosted by Seth Meyers, air Jan. 7, 2018 on NBC.